Vancouver Food Reviews

Reviews and experiences of a low budget food critic

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Western Family Spiral Macaroni and Cheese - Review

Searching through the cupboard the other day, looking for some lunch, I stumbled across a box of Western Family Spiral Macaroni and Cheese. I decided to give it a try, specially since it was a free gift from a friend when we moved in.

To make the macaroni all that is required is to boil enough water to cover the pasta and add a little salt for taste. Cook it for 4 to 6 minutes and then drain. When it came to adding the cheese mixture I decided to leave out the butter and just add a couple tablespoons of milk. This kept it nice and creamy, as the directions suggested you make more of a cheese soup. This is often a problem with this type of boxed macaroni diner. It takes some experimentation through the years to get it just right.

So how did it taste? Well it wasn't to bad, I found the pasta noodles to be a little bit on the light side. I guess that means they were a little thin for that type of pasta. The cheese was creamy and not to artificial tasting. As I noted above you might have to adjust the amounts of butter and/or milk to get it just right. Overall it wasn't to bad for a box of relatively instant macaroni and cheese.

I rate this at a 6 out of 10.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home