Vancouver Food Reviews

Reviews and experiences of a low budget food critic

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Safeway Select French Roast Whole Beans - Review

Getting up isn't easy for me, specially when it is early. This is where a good cup of coffee comes in and I am quite particular on how it is made and how it tastes.

I like to stay away from the pre-ground stuff. Doesn't matter how well you seal it in the can it will always taste off and they can't quite handle grinding it to an acceptable level. So I stick to whole ground coffee and spend the extra couple of minutes in the morning or if I really have to, the night before grinding it myself.

As a gift I received a nice big bag of Safeway Select, French Roast. The smell is a little on the heavy side as these are roasted quite dark. However I prefer a good dark roast in the morning, really wakes you up in my opinion. After they are ground the aroma is much nicer.

I brewed a pot (I have a small coffee maker so that is the equivalent to about 4 cups), and sampled the brew, and it wasn't to shabby for the local supermarket brand of coffee. Aroma was still good and the taste was a little strong but I like it that way.

So all in all I would give this a 7.5 out of 10.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home